Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOB Chicago 8/27

HOB Chicago 8/27

Bandcamp? Horrible. Vomit inducing music. The crowd was DEAD for the most part. I think it was just a ploy to get more $6.50 beers sold.

The Show itself was fucking great. Started out with drinkin sparks outside the venue. Was gonna show up early, but theres always ways to nudge near the front. I'm semi drunk at the moment, but just from the top of my head, i'd say the highlight of the set was fucking BREAK ME. Song is incredible. SJ was on today. Stevie Ray was ace as well(i think it was that song--with the bluesy guitar solo at the beginning?). Dont really remember the set list, only that they played for a long while.

IF i have any gripes about the show it would be the singing along to songs like Slow Motion, etc. Maybe there were some others as well.

AND I almost had to punch some guy(you all better hope you aren't on the board!) It must have been as early as wounded. People started jumping and singing(normal). This guy keeps bumping my girl and she just looks at him and kind of elbows him away. This guy EXPLOSED and starts cursing her out. She starts goin nuts and this motherfucker trys to HIT her. I move her to the side and im like..."Dude, we're all here to enjoy the show." This guy has these evil fucking eyes, just reading to start somthing. Then his friend...Heres a good description...the guy that almost hit her had a friend that had the "3eb" logo on his left shoulder. He was talking all this shit too. Then the first guys girlfriend gets into it...the guy is goin.."look, shes crying!." THEN the girl pulls her pants down to show me a tattoo thats on her lower body. THEEEEENNN she starts cursin and givin the finger. I gave her a thumbs up back and said, "wow, yer cool." Eventually someone I think moved them away abit......

.....So yeah, it took me awhile to get back into it because this guy was really gonna hit a girl. If this was any of you guys, man, fer real, complete deuche bag. Ugh. Seriously couldn't believe it.

Stephan is the man. Tony is the man. Moses? iono, im sure for the long time fans, they sensed this aura of sorts. Brad was good as well, tho perhaps less enthusiastic.

so yeah, good night.

NOT BANNED

What a show.

Of all the 3eb shows I've been at, I must say, this one had the most energy, besting even the sickness that was the WAR tour. It was like every person there was a hardcore fan. I guess on a Sunday night show that didn't start till about 10:30, that would make sense. It was sold out, just like 8/24 apparently too.

I met with 3ebnut outside and she seemed very nice. Post more ! I think I spotted Jason up front by Tony, and Arin was literally about 6 feet from me, which was just far enough to not be able to make any contact with him..
    EDIT: I did get a good swing in on his girlfriend though. (I keed.)

Setlist, in close to actual order...

1. Wounded
    2. Crystal Baller
    3. Graduate
    4. Never Let You Go
    5. Don't Like Me Now
    6. Palm Reader
    7. Narcolepsy
    8. Tattoo
    9. Jumper
    10.The Background
    11. Blinded
    12. Second Born
    13. Break Me
    14.Semi-Charmed Life (Stairway)
    ---
    15.Deep Inside Of You (SJ)
    16.Slow Motion (SJ)
    17.Motorcyle Driveby

18.Pesephone
    19.How's It Going To Be
    20.God of Wine

Notes:
    Bandcamp wasn't half bad, especially better than people give them credit for. I don't really like that kind of music at all, but the guys had talent, decent songwriting skills, and unlike most new bands, they knew how to just jam out for a minute or two.

As far as 3eb goes, all the guys seemed to be having a really good time. SJ at one point began playing Brad's cymbals with his barehands, just to fuck with him.

SJ gave the typical schpeel acknowleding their cult status and embracing it. He said that despite the fact that he has writer's block and can't finish the album, coming to Chicago and having it sold out twice for the band was humbling and excited him greatly. He stressed that he was very sincere about that.

Tony was a goddamned rock god, per usual. He always has so much energy, but tonight it seemed like he was in overdrive. The fact that the crowd was just fueling them all so much probably accounts for a lot of this. Tony pantomimed cunnilingus during the "go down on you for an hour" and sang "I wish you would step back from that ledge" while pointing to people in the balconies. As mentioned at prior shows, he consistently let people strum his guitar. He pretty much improvised throughout ToTS, which was very cool.

Brad was a beast per usual. He seemed very joyous and energetic, and played a kickass drum solo during Jumper.

Moses. Moses played his role very well. He seemed very humble, wary about trying to take too much attention from the "real members", which kind of made me feel bad for him. It's really not an ideal situation to be in. I mean, honestly, no one's thrilled to see him there despite the fact that he's done nothing wrong, yet the guy must know it. But he did have fun, and accepted the spotlight in fleeting moments. He really rode the line well and portrayed himself perfectly. I have a lot of respect for the guy. The fact that he has still not been announced as an official member, and the way he appeared on stage, still makes me think 3eb is holding out hope for Arion's return. But enough about that.

The highlight of the night was without a doubt, Stevie Ray Vaughan, which, despite what Arin says, they did not actually play.

Second Born was the song with the bluesy intro, I think. I liked the intro a lot. There was some lyrics to it, dunno if anyone's seen a video of it or whatever, but it was something included "our family". It was really pretty and I liked it a lot. The lyrical changes, stuff about "my brother's gone", eh, didn't like so much. The solo in the bridge is gone, or at least shortened. All references to his mother's bout with Cancer are gone. It's pretty much a different song, with a different theme. One about losing a brother. I'm sure this version will grow on me, but, I really did think it was more heartfelt before.

For the ending, SJ played Don't Like Me Now acoustic, getting everyone to sing the "Whoa" together, as done at other shows, and the band came out and shook hands with people. It was a really thoughtful, intimate way to end the night.

During Persephone, I kid you not, I looked around and saw about 20 people recording it with cell phones and other devices, a much higher number than any other song. It seems obvious that there's so many fans out there that don't post here, and I wish they did (so long as they're intelligible). Pretty much everyone in the place knew the words to Slow Motion.

This was a really necessary show for me and my faith in the band. The Indy show, with Arion not being there and no other bassist, left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. I had doubts about this show, pretty extreme doubts, but they were almost all nullified. It was kind of sad when the Jumper bass solo was coming up, and I knew I wasn't going to look over and see Arion. But around then I realized, looking around and seeing a thousand complete strangers all having the time of their lives in complete unison, that 3eb is still a beautiful thing. It might not be pretty behind the surface, but man, when you're surrounded by so many people that love this band, sweating and jumping around to the best music of our generation, there's nothing that beats that. I don't think, should Arion's leave be permanent, that he would want any of us to miss out on that; for any of us to not feel that. It was beautiful, really.
    Last edited by tonyrox; 08-28-2006 at 10:37 AM.
    @david_d_jones

[COLOR=black]
    [COLOR=black]Moses. Moses played his role very well. He seemed very humble, wary about trying to take too much attention from the "real members", which kind of made me feel bad for him. It's really not an ideal situation to be in. I mean, honestly, no one's thrilled to see him there despite the fact that he's done nothing wrong, yet the guy must know it. But he did have fun, and accepted the spotlight in fleeting moments. He really rode the line well and portrayed himself perfectly. I have a lot of respect for the guy. The fact that he has still not been announced as an official member, and the way he appeared on stage, still makes me think 3eb is holding out hope for Arion's return. But enough about that.

But around then I realized, looking around and seeing a thousand complete strangers all having the time of their lives in complete unison, that 3eb is still a beautiful thing. It might not be pretty behind the surface, but man, when you're surrounded by so many people that love this band, sweating and jumping around to the best music of our generation, there's nothing that beats that. I don't think, should Arion's leave be permanent, that he would want any of us to miss out on that; for any of us to not feel that. It was beautiful, really.
    [/COLOR]
    YEAH. What he said! Beautiful, couldn't have said it any better. After saying my goodbyes to my TVCY friends on Thursday night, I had the same epiphany. That should be on the front page as our mantra.
    [/COLOR]
    http://belleoftheballstl.com

No better yet, draw faces on your fingers and put a top hat on each finger and wiggle them around in the air. My fingers catch the sparks at the thought of touching you..... oh shit I dropped my hats!

Quote Originally Posted by tonyrox

The highlight of the night was without a doubt, Stevie Ray Vaughan, which, despite what Arin says, they did not actually play.

Second Born was the song with the bluesy intro,
    Are you sure? Im almost positive it wasn't SEcond Born because that song didn't really know me off my feet. And yes im aware I don't know the new songs.

After watching the show its really a downer in a way. This band could easily make stadiums move, in a U2 way.

...The Background just isn't the same anymore.

Did anyone ask why they didn't play Darkness? Because while you were at it you might as well have asked about that Live DVD, Symphony of Decay, and the unplugged album.

Btw, Don't Like Me Now better not go on the album as an acoustic version. Tony rocks too much on the electric in that one
    As young kids all the precious time we threw away
    But who remembers all those toasts we made?
    To good friends and good times
    Someway everyone will end up fine

My song of the week

NOT BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SJRox99
    Did anyone ask why they didn't play Darkness? Because while you were at it you might as well have asked about that Live DVD, Symphony of Decay, and the unplugged album.

Btw, Don't Like Me Now better not go on the album as an acoustic version. Tony rocks too much on the electric in that one
    Man I don't know if anything you said there makes any sense.

No, they didn't play Darkness. I'm assuming Persephone replaced it, which I can't complain about because I've seen them play Darkness before, but never Persephone. Not playing Darkness after saying he would is miniscule and damn near irrelevant; I certainly wouldn't compare it to the things you did. SJ made mention of it while shooting the shit with a stranger in the streets of Chicago. One person. I seriously doubt he realized how many people would actually hear that, and I assume when he played Persephone, he thought people might actually be grateful. But I guess there will always be bitching.

And Don't Like Me Now is in no threat of being recorded acoustic. It was like a reprise of sorts, SJ playing 3 chords and getting the crowd to sing along while shaking hands with the band.
    @david_d_jones

Man I don't know if anything you said there makes any sense.
    I was just saying how it is more bs from SJ.
    SJ made mention of it while shooting the shit with a stranger in the streets of Chicago
    Actually MattHayes told us, and I don't know if he meant that SJ mentioned it during or after the concert. Probably during though.
    Last edited by SJRox99; 08-28-2006 at 05:06 PM.

My song of the week

Successfully Not Banned Yet 3ebnut's Avatar
    Hey Tonyrox - nice to meet you too last night. Your review was great. I'm we heard [I]Persephone[I] Next time at HOB use the lot on Kinzie! Have a good one!

Super Banana!
    No, they didn't play Darkness...SJ made mention of it while shooting the shit with a stranger in the streets of Chicago. One person.
    Incorrect. He told the entire Chicago crowd on Thursday that he would play Darkness on Sunday. In between songs, his eyes lit up, and he says "Darkness?" and something to the effect of "We'll play it on Sunday. My voice needs a rest from that last song. Now its your turn to sing!" as they go into Jumper.

I haven't posted in AGES- new job, not much leisure time for the internet....but I had to come on and see what people were saying about the show because I went and LOVED it. Don't think I'm a total loser but my friend who was going with me backed out at 5:00 so I went by myself! Which, actually wasn't so bad because I got to just completely absorb the music without any distractions. I had the perfect spot because I was right on the railing that surrounds the floor so I could see over everyone's heads (I'm short) and a column was right next to me so I wasn't smashed into a distracting group of people. Although the girls behind me chatted through the whole thing- which is really annoying. I would definetly say this was one of their best chicago performances...I liked Bandcamp, didn't know who they were, I felt bad for then that they couldn't get the crowd into them. And then the 3eb boys came on and blew me away like always. Stephan seemed really on and I noticed he didn't seem to strut around all over the stage like normal, he seemed more into the singing part. Best part for me was The Background!!!

Zh... Zh... Zh... Zodiac
    I don't think they replaced Persephone with Darkness, as they played persephone at the Milwaukee show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Hargreaves
    The delay on the release of a Third Eye Blind album is something that fans should be used to, as it's been a common occurrence in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Bestcubsfan
    I don't think they replaced Persephone with Darkness, as they played persephone at the Milwaukee show.
    Quick, edit your post and switch the the song titles so you don't look like a dumbass and it actually makes sense...

My song of the week

NOT BANNED

Well I had never heard that it was announced to the crowd. That makes it suck worse, but I still don't see it as that big of a deal. Any fan that's going to truly appreciate Darkness should probably know to take any promise SJ makes with a grain of salt.

And just because they played Persephone in Milwaukee doesn't mean that Persephone wasn't put on the setlist in place of Darkness. Maybe there was a plan to play Darkness in Milwaukee too? They obviously had to relearn either Darkness or Persephone in the last few days, and I think they made the conscious decision to focus on Persephone (probably easier because it's not full band too). If that was the case, I think they made the right choice.
    @david_d_jones

Zh... Zh... Zh... Zodiac
    Well I had never heard that it was announced to the crowd. That makes it suck worse, but I still don't see it as that big of a deal. Any fan that's going to truly appreciate Darkness should probably know to take any promise SJ makes with a grain of salt.

And just because they played Persephone in Milwaukee doesn't mean that Persephone wasn't put on the setlist in place of Darkness. Maybe there was a plan to play Darkness in Milwaukee too? They obviously had to relearn either Darkness or Persephone in the last few days, and I think they made the conscious decision to focus on Persephone (probably easier because it's not full band too). If that was the case, I think they made the right choice.
    Only tony and sj would have had to relearn persephone, but the entire band would have had to relearn darnkess. I dunno if Moses would have been up to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Hargreaves
    The delay on the release of a Third Eye Blind album is something that fans should be used to, as it's been a common occurrence in the past.

Whipping Boy Calamity

Quote Originally Posted by SJRox99
    Actually MattHayes told us, and I don't know if he meant that SJ mentioned it during or after the concert. Probably during though.
    he most certainly said it during. he said "Darkness.................Nah, well do it sunday" after TOTS i think.
    Quote Originally Posted by brenan View Post
    This is our village, if you don't like it, pack yo bags and gtfo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Fredianelli View Post
    Just remember - anyone with half a brain knows - that if you dont have a handle over here - you shouldnt really call yourelf a true blue 3eb fan - or a person in the 3eb band - in my opinion. This is where the soul of 3eb rises like the phoenix and my heart is here - always - I love everyone here. From the botttom of my soul....coach.

i thought he said .. "Darkness? .. ah, well maybe sunday." (and yeah, that one word make a pretty big difference.)
    Originally Posted by bluewintermoon
    Or maybe Stephan could just take over all the band duties and we can expect the next album to drop around the same time my nuts do -- NEVER.

Super Banana!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVillageMisfit
    i thought he said .. "Darkness? .. ah, well maybe sunday." (and yeah, that one word make a pretty big difference.)
    Hmm I'm pretty sure he said they would, but all things SJ come with an implied "maybe", or a "probably not".

He said it at a fucking concert. SO WHAT! Sheesh. Maybe he just wasn't feelin it. I think people are reading way to into this. Doesn't anybody care that they put on an awesome show? shit.

Super Banana!
    Quote Originally Posted by cokehead1138
    I think people are reading way to into this.
    There's no way anyone here would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by cokehead1138
    Doesn't anybody care that they put on an awesome show?
    Absolutely.

N00b

I think they rocked

This concert was amazing. It was my first 3eb concert, I have been waiting a long time for this, I love their music, and I was beginning to think I would never get to see them. I have seen more concerts in the past 2 years than I have in my whole life, and 3eb had alot to contend with because I have seen alot of great ones. But 3eb really blew me away, I think the venue really helped, the crowd just had great energy, and the song selection was perfect for me. There were a few obscure songs, a few of their hits, and a few of their new ones. It was a great time, and it was a sunday night when i was dead tired. I can't wait for their new album, I hope SJ gets his head together and gets past his block and gets this think done, I liked 'I bet you don't like me now' I think thats what it was, and 'you can't break me', dont quote me on either one of those.

My new top 10 concerts

1. 3eb at HOB
    2. Rolling Stones at Soldier Field
    3. Tom Petty and Pearl Jam at Summerfest
    4. Goo Goo Dolls at Summerfest
    5. Linkin Park at Tweeter Center/Project Revolution
    6. 311 at Northerly Island
    7. OAR at Tweeter Center/Sprite Remix tour
    8. Lucky Boys Confusion at Canopy Club UoI
    9. Fall Out Boy at ISU
    10. The Fray at HOB

I really think this says alot for 3eb, and was honestly a big surprise for me, I thought they would be good, just not this good. I trully feel it was an amazing show for me.

you might wanna make that into a top 8 and/or head for the hills. save yourself!!!

Confusion is Sex Intoxicated Ricochet's Avatar
    More like a Top 3...

Whipping Boy Calamity

So, Sunday was for sure the better of the 2 HOB shows. More new songs were played at the thursday show, but overall Sunday was better. I think it took Moses a bit to get into it, but the last half of the night, he was a lot different than thursday or the first half of sunday, He was moving all over the stage, singing along, and really looked like he was having a great time. Moses is no Arion, thats for sure, but he did his best and i think he did a good job. Tony, once againw as just on fire, making faces, worshiping the guitar, interacting with the crowd. He played most of Tattoo sitting atop the speakers on his side of the stage. Stephan seemed to be really enjoying it as did Brad. I really liked that Tony and Brad each got to have solos during Jumper, good stuff.

Sunday they did Break Me, and Stephan really does spit some fire during that song, i coudnt make out a word of it, but he was sure going fast. Good song, would have liked to hear more new stuff, but it was good. Second Born, i really dont care much for the new version, which starts out, just stephan, "oh family......oh family........" it just seems disjoineted now and does not flow as well, as well as having a totally different theme than it did before. My favorite of the new songs is still "Dont Like Me Now" but i really wish i could have been in Milwaukee to hear SRV, also would have liked to hear Red Star, hope they dont scrap that one.

Good shows, cant wait for more.
    Quote Originally Posted by brenan View Post
    This is our village, if you don't like it, pack yo bags and gtfo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Fredianelli View Post
    Just remember - anyone with half a brain knows - that if you dont have a handle over here - you shouldnt really call yourelf a true blue 3eb fan - or a person in the 3eb band - in my opinion. This is where the soul of 3eb rises like the phoenix and my heart is here - always - I love everyone here. From the botttom of my soul....coach.

R.I.P. P.S.H.
    Follow Matthew On Twitter
    Follow Matthew on Tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by MattHayes
    So, Sunday was for sure the better of the 2 HOB shows. More new songs were played at the thursday show, but overall Sunday was better. I think it took Moses a bit to get into it, but the last half of the night, he was a lot different than thursday or the first half of sunday, He was moving all over the stage, singing along, and really looked like he was having a great time. Moses is no Arion, thats for sure, but he did his best and i think he did a good job. Tony, once againw as just on fire, making faces, worshiping the guitar, interacting with the crowd. He played most of Tattoo sitting atop the speakers on his side of the stage. Stephan seemed to be really enjoying it as did Brad. I really liked that Tony and Brad each got to have solos during Jumper, good stuff.

Sunday they did Break Me, and Stephan really does spit some fire during that song, i coudnt make out a word of it, but he was sure going fast. Good song, would have liked to hear more new stuff, but it was good. Second Born, i really dont care much for the new version, which starts out, just stephan, "oh family......oh family........" it just seems disjoineted now and does not flow as well, as well as having a totally different theme than it did before. My favorite of the new songs is still "Dont Like Me Now" but i really wish i could have been in Milwaukee to hear SRV, also would have liked to hear Red Star, hope they dont scrap that one.

Good shows, cant wait for more.
    i don't think they will. i don't mean to take this thread too far off topic, but in regards to the band "scrapping songs," i just don't see how they can. 'lay back,' i can understand...cuz it just wasn't very good. 'in the skin'...maybe, if SJ can't get the sound out of it that he wants (alotta scat-style mumblings in the bootleg we have). but 'red star,' just as a bootlegged live cut, sounds about ready to go, musically and lyrically. i don't think the band has enough material to scrap songs at will if they wanna put together anything larger than an EP. i mean, if SJ gets motivated to write all-new material to all-new songs, then that's cool...but i'm not that optimistic. they can't wait much longer on this album. it'll likely be well over four years between OOTV and #4 if and when it gets released, and cult status or no cult status, third eye blind is just not a big enough band anymore to expect a grand reception of a new album if it takes this long to release it. that means working with the songs you've already got...especially if they happen to be really good songs like 'red star.'
    I braced myself for silence. I brought nothing back...

IWANTTOWALKAROUNDWITHYOU XHendrix24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pezzonovante
    i don't think they will. i don't mean to take this thread too far off topic, but in regards to the band "scrapping songs," i just don't see how they can. 'lay back,' i can understand...cuz it just wasn't very good. 'in the skin'...maybe, if SJ can't get the sound out of it that he wants (alotta scat-style mumblings in the bootleg we have). but 'red star,' just as a bootlegged live cut, sounds about ready to go, musically and lyrically. i don't think the band has enough material to scrap songs at will if they wanna put together anything larger than an EP. i mean, if SJ gets motivated to write all-new material to all-new songs, then that's cool...but i'm not that optimistic. they can't wait much longer on this album. it'll likely be well over four years between OOTV and #4 if and when it gets released, and cult status or no cult status, third eye blind is just not a big enough band anymore to expect a grand reception of a new album if it takes this long to release it. that means working with the songs you've already got...especially if they happen to be really good songs like 'red star.'
    I agree in general, but I think the worrying over Red Star stems from it possibly being a song that Arion helped write. At least, that's the reason I've been worrying about it.

It's probably my favorite of the new songs so far (along with DBAW), so if either of those end up getting scrapped, I'll be pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by bluewintermoon
    I'm well with you on that one. He is the music nonmaker, he is the destroyer of dreams.