Thread: Roxy LA January 14th

+++++

Roxy LA January 14th

Anyone else going to the Roxy show?

Posted show time is 8pm. Any guess as to when they will start?

Quote Originally Posted by lighter_boots View Post
    Anyone else going to the Roxy show?

Posted show time is 8pm. Any guess as to when they will start?
    how was the show? any word on what was played?

+++++

- I had given up on this site, But by the looks of the front row crowd, there were surely others from here at the show. Where does everyone talk about the band now?
    Regarding the show:
    They came out and immediately played 5-6 new songs. Some sounded very good and I will be happy to hear produced versions of them. No phones were allowed and it was great to not see everyone with their phones in the air.
    After the new stuff SJ did a short solo acoustic set:
    -Blood Bank
    -Slow Motion
    -Song of the Siren
    -Blade

Full Band:

-Company
    - Blinded
    -Palm Reader
    - Narcolepsy
    - Wounded
    -God of Wine
    -In the Fade
    -Anything
    - Back to Zero
    - Non Dairy Creamer

He reveled in the fact that this wouldn’t be a greatest hits show, but I thought they could have chosen better. I’m kinda over hearing anything from the first two albums live.,...

Im sure I missed something. SJ said they’d play different new songs at the New York shows.
    Last edited by lighter_boots; 01-17-2019 at 05:31 PM. Reason: track list edited to include NDC

This place is certainly dead...sad.

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by lighter_boots View Post
    - I had given up on this site, But by the looks of the front row crowd, there were surely others from here at the show. Where does everyone talk about the band now?
    Regarding the show:
    They came out and immediately played 5-6 new songs. Some sounded very good and I will be happy to hear produced versions of them. No phones were allowed and it was great to not see everyone with their phones in the air.
    After the new stuff SJ did a short solo acoustic set:
    -Blood Bank
    -Slow Motion
    -Song of the Siren
    -Blade

Full Band:

-Company
    - Blinded
    -Palm Reader
    - Narcolepsy
    - Wounded
    -God of Wine
    -In the Fade
    -Anything
    - Back to Zero
    - Non Dairy Creamer

He reveled in the fact that this wouldn’t be a greatest hits show, but I thought they could have chosen better. I’m kinda over hearing anything from the first two albums live.,...

Im sure I missed something. SJ said they’d play different new songs at the New York shows.
    yeah - it's a shame this forum seems to have gone by the wayside. Appreciate the review. Went in Brooklyn Wednesday, it was really incredible. This is the type of show Stephan should be willing to play - not all the time but for the true diehard fans of the band that have heard SCL/Jumper/NLYG one time too many at this point. The band and crowd energy was truly amazing. In addition to many of the songs you listed above we were treated to Persephone, many of us almost fainted when that happened. It was just SJ and Kryz on guitar for it. Also played Another Life - afterward he said "we may never play that one again" (which he probably said the last time it was played, lol). Anyways, it was truly great - the new material was very promising.

Pillar of the community
    Glad to hear that the new material sounded good. Can you describe it further? Style of it?

Successfully Not Banned Yet
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hideous Strength View Post
    yeah - it's a shame this forum seems to have gone by the wayside. Appreciate the review. Went in Brooklyn Wednesday, it was really incredible. This is the type of show Stephan should be willing to play - not all the time but for the true diehard fans of the band that have heard SCL/Jumper/NLYG one time too many at this point. The band and crowd energy was truly amazing. In addition to many of the songs you listed above we were treated to Persephone, many of us almost fainted when that happened. It was just SJ and Kryz on guitar for it. Also played Another Life - afterward he said "we may never play that one again" (which he probably said the last time it was played, lol). Anyways, it was truly great - the new material was very promising.
    Oh man, Persephone would be a dream come true. Sounds like an amazing show, and hopefully the new stuff realizes that promise in-studio.

Quote Originally Posted by marchisio8 View Post
    Glad to hear that the new material sounded good. Can you describe it further? Style of it?
    it was really a mix...I believe we got 7 new ones in Brooklyn. The only one you may have heard previously was "I Got So High" - although it was a bit different than the live versions from 3-4 years ago. The rest were pretty up tempo rock. I happened to be standing 5 feet from Kryz for the show and he was pretty involved on back-up vocals in many of the songs and had a few cool riffs worked in as well. Stephan was pretty passionate and engaged on the vocals - these weren't ballads like Why Can't You Be or Anything like that. It's definitely a departure from the early albums and even a bit from Dopamine/We Are Drugs. Honestly i'd have to hear the tracks a few more times for a better description but unfortunately no phones were allowed that was the one major bummer. But hopefully we will all hear them soon enough!

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingBreakers View Post
    Oh man, Persephone would be a dream come true. Sounds like an amazing show, and hopefully the new stuff realizes that promise in-studio.
    yeah Persephone was the not only the highlight of the night but one of the best moments i've ever had at a 3eb show. But even aside from that the setlist was so much more diversified than the typical 3eb show. I really wish he would do this more - why hide such an incredible catalog behind the same 10-12 songs year after year? You are always going to have the people that come to hear SCL and Jumper but that doesn't mean the rest of the set has to be set in stone. They have so many amazing songs when you really sit down and look at the options. And digging into the Out of the Vein album so extensively was one of the best decisions he could have made. Those songs all sound just as good live as they do on the album.