Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Summer Gods Album

Summer Gods Album

Per an interview released on March 29, 2017:

But sonic changes are coming, [Jenkins] warns me, and fans will be able to hear those deviations this summer when the band releases its newest project, Summer Gods.

“Right now, Summer Gods sounds like a trap record, pretty much,” Jenkins explains. “It’s not rap, it’s more just me spitting and spitting and spitting. It’s almost all beats, and then me going for it over them.”
    Source: http://www.sfweekly.com/music/music-...ephan-jenkins/
    I'm running out of words, I'm running out of time.
    So was it all worth the weight on my mind?
    And I start to fall apart
    And I'm hurt by what's inside

Getting There
    I really hope this is 'in addition to' and not 'instead of' the re-release of the S/T and b-sides.

Great, so we're getting (another) Jenkins solo project? Trap album? Not rap, but beats he rambles over? SO Summatown diddy/rites of passage outro garbage type album? Lol. Nah, I'll pass.

Patiently waiting for them to release the re-recorded b-sides, alright caroline etc.
    -I shame the devil cause I throw it down so hard-

blot blot western baby
    Guys stop the negativity! This is going to be way too much fun.

So did he just name drop this once, and that's it? Or has it come up at new shows or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Knife In The Water View Post
    So did he just name drop this once, and that's it? Or has it come up at new shows or anything?
    Meh. Just give me re-recorded AC and Scattered and I'll be all set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sco. View Post
    Meh. Just give me re-recorded AC and Scattered and I'll be all set.
    Yes, that's actually my stance on it as well. If he's truly going full trap/electronic pop for future releases, I'm taking the re-recorded AC, Scattered, and TOTS, slapping it on the end of the "We Are Drugs" EP, and pretending its the band's last album right there.

(I wonder if this post will be quoted back to me in the year 2020, when the release has gone through multiple delays, name changes, musical directions, and band lineups, and I'm still around asking if a release date has been announced yet. )

Will's Mum's Boyfriend

Blog Entries
    Yes, that's actually my stance on it as well. If he's truly going full trap/electronic pop for future releases, I'm taking the re-recorded AC, Scattered, and TOTS, slapping it on the end of the "We Are Drugs" EP, and pretending its the band's last album right there.
    You've heard some of the shit on that EP right?

[QUOTE=Knife In The Water;450517]Yes, that's actually my stance on it as well. If he's truly going full trap/electronic pop for future releases, I'm taking the re-recorded AC, Scattered, and TOTS, slapping it on the end of the "We Are Drugs" EP, and pretending its the band's last album right there.

You sure you wanna slap it on We Are Drugs? I'd slap it on the backside of Dopamine personally. Maybe take Everything Is Easy off, and add at least re-recorded AC and Scattered. Lol. I couldn't have disliked We Are Drugs any more.

We Are Drugs > Dopamine

CoS, Weightless, Sherri, and even Don't Give In are better than most of Dopamine. They finally got that "rock" sound back that I've been waiting for since OOTV
    You gotta steal the time from a life that's passing by

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    You've heard some of the shit on that EP right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sco. View Post

You sure you wanna slap it on We Are Drugs? I'd slap it on the backside of Dopamine personally. Maybe take Everything Is Easy off, and add at least re-recorded AC and Scattered. Lol. I couldn't have disliked We Are Drugs any more.
    I've held off from listening to any of "We Are Drugs" except Only Cop Vs. Phone Girl, which I was pretty "meh" about, so I've got expectations appropriately low for hearing that again. My original plan was to merge the two EPs (We Are Drugs and the 2nd EP they mentioned) into an album length release. But his comments on the direction of "Summer Gods", coupled with the fact that he's talking very little about it at all, making me think its release is going to be pretty far out there, regardless of what it is, is making me want to do something else with it. Combining the 7 track EP with the 3 re-recorded ST songs puts me up to 10, so that's pretty much a short album.

Have there been any other demos or non-album song stuff to come out in the last couple years? "If There Ever Was a Time" is the only other song I could think of from this era of the band (for what its worth...)

I've thought about adding it to Dopamine, but I've listened to that album so much these last 2 years, I'm kind of tired of it...

Will's Mum's Boyfriend

Blog Entries
    Company of Strangers & Weightless are bangers. Sherri is fucking amazing even with that watered down start but the rest is kinda meh.

blot blot western baby
    I've held off from listening to any of "We Are Drugs" except Only Cop Vs. Phone Girl, which I was pretty "meh" about, so I've got expectations appropriately low for hearing that again. My original plan was to merge the two EPs (We Are Drugs and the 2nd EP they mentioned) into an album length release.
    Are you holding off listening to WAD (what an appropriate acronym) so you can have a complete album experience? If that's your goal I'm wondering if adding some 3eb remixes/mashups might add the variety you're looking for to fill it out? (Also, you are definitely the kid who waited for the marshmallow, huh)

Quote Originally Posted by sst2 View Post
    Are you holding off listening to WAD (what an appropriate acronym) so you can have a complete album experience? If that's your goal I'm wondering if adding some 3eb remixes/mashups might add the variety you're looking for to fill it out? (Also, you are definitely the kid who waited for the marshmallow, huh)
    Well honestly, with being so used to 4-6 years waits between albums, it almost felt too soon to get the EP just a year after Dopamine last year. But like I was saying, now that its been 2 years since Dopamine, and this second EP seems to be far away and moving into a questionable direction, I'm getting more antsy to listen to it.

Yeah, any remix/alternate mixes/anything suggestions would be welcome, but I really scoured the depths of the internet for that sort of stuff through the Ursa Major/Minor era. I think I've heard everything there is to hear prior to 2011 - after Ursa Major released and it was clear Minor was never coming, I listened to every Minor demo/live bootleg in existence too.

So, the only thing that'd be new to me would be stuff from 2011 forward, which, as far as I can tell, has been little to nothing, without an Arion/Tony type to sneak us stuff. The only thing that comes to mind is the 3 songs/remixes from this thread: http://www.3eb.co.uk/showthread.php?15334-Songz - As far as new songs go, since 2011, there's really only "ITEWAT" and "WhiteSnake", unless I missed them...

blot blot western baby
    Yeah, any remix/alternate mixes/anything suggestions would be welcome, but I really scoured the depths of the internet for that sort of stuff through the Ursa Major/Minor era. I think I've heard everything there is to hear prior to 2011 - after Ursa Major released and it was clear Minor was never coming, I listened to every Minor demo/live bootleg in existence too.
    Ah, I was thinking about stuff that wasn't actually by 3eb. There are tons of mashups between other artists and 3eb's popular songs on YouTube, a lot suck but every so often there's a gem. I remember enjoying one five or so years ago that had kind of a hip hop vibe that could go well with WAD. Struggling to remember who it was by....

Quote Originally Posted by sst2 View Post
    Ah, I was thinking about stuff that wasn't actually by 3eb. There are tons of mashups between other artists and 3eb's popular songs on YouTube, a lot suck but every so often there's a gem. I remember enjoying one five or so years ago that had kind of a hip hop vibe that could go well with WAD. Struggling to remember who it was by....
    Oh, gotcha. I thought you meant stuff from that Indaba stuff they did to promote Ursa Major, where people did alternate mixes of DBAW and some other tracks.

Yeah, I've looked into Youtube mashups too, and I agree, there's a lot of garbage ones, but there are a few gems. My favorite is the 3eb/NWA "Semi-Charm the Police" one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgqXgza_ago - humorous for mix cds, though would obviously really wouldn't fit in a collection of actual 3eb songs.

A bunch of people really liked the Carly Rae Jepson one - http://uproxx.com/music/third-eye-bl...-me-maybe-yet/ - but I didn't really care for it.

I've held off from listening to any of "We Are Drugs" except Only Cop Vs. Phone Girl, which I was pretty "meh" about, so I've got expectations appropriately low for hearing that again. My original plan was to merge the two EPs (We Are Drugs and the 2nd EP they mentioned) into an album length release. But his comments on the direction of "Summer Gods", coupled with the fact that he's talking very little about it at all, making me think its release is going to be pretty far out there, regardless of what it is, is making me want to do something else with it.
    Just go ahead and listen to it. What if you have some freak accident and lose your hearing tomorrow?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    We never are what we intend or invent

N00b
    Cop vs Phone Girl is by far the worst song on We Are Drugs, I'd definitely give the rest of it at least one listen before you disregard the EP completely

Speaking of mashups though, I really enjoy this one of Jumper and One Day by Matisyahu
    and despite myself I actually like the Call Me Maybe/SCL mashup as well...

NOT BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherDebtor View Post
    Cop vs Phone Girl is by far the worst song on We Are Drugs
    Isn't it pretty incorrect to say this?
    Last edited by tonyrox; 05-02-2017 at 07:44 PM.
    @david_d_jones

Quote Originally Posted by tonyrox View Post
    Isn't it pretty incorrect to say this?
    Nicely done

blot blot western baby
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherDebtor View Post
    Speaking of mashups though, I really enjoy this one of Jumper and One Day by Matisyahu
    That's the one I was looking for, thanks!! I was thinking it was by two friends and couldn't remember which songs were mashed so had trouble finding it. In my search I found a Third Eye Blind trap mix, though, which was a nice preview of the next album.

Chief Prick

Blog Entries
    When you say "nice..."
    mail: site at 3eb.co.uk
    facebook | twitter

blot blot western baby
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    When you say "nice..."
    I mean, I didn't get a headache. after the first listen.

Pillar of the community Wild Dedication's Avatar
    Wow, Alright Caroline released online:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...aroline-listen

Going to listen to it now.

Pillar of the community cooksoo7's Avatar
    I was just coming to post about it. I really like how this version turned out. And, we always have a decent demo of the old version. I'm never one to complain about having different versions of a song, so this definitely does nothing to ruin the original for me.