Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Selftitled B-sides 2017

Pillar of the community

Selftitled B-sides 2017

Decided to start a new thread were you all can discuss the upcoming EP that will be released in April next year.

This is what SJ had to say about it in a recent interview

"We’re going to have another [release out] in April. It’s going to be the 20th anniversary of our first record [1997’s “Third Eye Blind”]. And there’s several B-sides — well, they’re songs that I wrote for the first record that we never recorded. I’m going to record those and put ’em on the record. So that’s going to come out in April"

http://www.musicnation.site/third-ey...med-rock-life/

And yesterday SJ posted a picture of the band in east west studios, recording with Ryan Hewitt. Later that day, Brad, posted a clip on snapchat of Alright Caroline.

So which other songs do you think the EP will include? TOTS? Scattered? Gorgeous?
    Last edited by marchisio8; 11-02-2016 at 12:13 PM.

Should probably get a hobby blair kennedy's Avatar
    Definitely not gorgeous. Kevin said the only way he would allow that would be if it was released under their individual names, not as "third eye blind".

Pillar of the community cooksoo7's Avatar
    Possibly Walk with the Devil? We have a Pre Self-titled demo of it. The only other song I can think of that we have heard about is Bike Messenger. Everything else is either post Self-titled or was used on Blue.

The 1995 Radiant Records demo was:

Kiss Goodnight (An Ode To Maybe)
    Heroin (Horror Show)
    Slow Motion
    Scattered
    Semi-Charmed Life

So...Scattered would be the only one from these recordings.
    Ryan

I am a GIRL
    So assuming they actually go through with this (yeah, sorry I'm still skeptical of anything sj says he'll do), I'm torn as to weather I'd want it. Years ago I would have loved a vault album (probably because I knew Tony was in the fold and would stay true to the 3eb sound), but now I'm not so sure I want to hear Kopp adding piano and electronic beats to songs like ARC and Scattered. To me, these are already classics, so I suppose it won't hurt hearing an updated version since I already have somewhat ok recordings of them, but the thought of this new version of 3eb toying with old songs doesn't quite sit well with me. I mean, the current 3eb is light years away from the 97 version in every way, it feels weird.
    I'll make do with none, I will blame no one
    Slept on packing foam, I'll make it all my home

ur mom
    Alright Caroline
    Scattered
    a reworked Tattoo of the Sun

I can't imagine them doing more than a few?
    POWR
    AFTW
    SD
    PBN
    TSYS

I'm confused about TOTS. Isn't that just a regular studio cut? Didn't think it was a demo. And god, that song is fucking perfect. It'd be awful if they recorded another version.
    Ryan

I know some people are happy with the demo and don't want to see the song get ruined, but I have always wanted a studio version of Scattered. Really pumped about potentially getting to finally hear one.

ur mom
    Tattoo of the Rave
    POWR
    AFTW
    SD
    PBN
    TSYS

NOT BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LikeaBurningMan View Post
    Tattoo of the Rave
    Rerecord the ST in its entirety with keyboards, digital drums, and choirs.
    @david_d_jones

Chief Prick

Blog Entries
    Can't we just have the best available versions of the songs at the time? Why do we need to rework anything?
    mail: site at 3eb.co.uk
    facebook | twitter

Chief Prick

Blog Entries
    Also, if Valentine's not involved it's just not worth it. His production on those songs would be unreal.
    facebook | twitter

Should probably get a hobby blair kennedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Also, if Valentine's not involved it's just not worth it. His production on those songs would be unreal.
    I remember reading on that forum that SJ asked Valentine to produce Dopamine. His response was something along the lines of "sure, if kevin is playing on it"
    i prefer to red to green. it goes better with my complexion.

How early was "Shelter"? Was that pre-S/T, or Blue era? SJ mentioned that song in an interview or Reddit AMA or something a year or so back, so it could be on his radar.

If Scattered was around that far back, it seems like that would be an obvious choice - it's sounds is probably most close to their current Dopamine era sound. (Poppier, more emphasis on clean guitar notes rather than distortion, etc.)

I'd be excited for anything and anything really. If they ruin it, then I'll just play the demo version.

I'm a little confused though. Are they working on a second EP AND re-recording old S/T songs? Or is the EP comprised of old re-recorded S/T songs?
    Last edited by Knife In The Water; 11-02-2016 at 08:22 PM.
    I'm running out of words, I'm running out of time.
    So was it all worth the weight on my mind?
    And I start to fall apart
    And I'm hurt by what's inside

Pillar of the community
    EP with ST b-sides in April, new songs on EP next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by marchisio8 View Post
    EP with ST b-sides in April, new songs on EP next summer.

That's a tall order. Sounds like the b-sides have already been recorded though so maybe it'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleAtGalaxy View Post
    That's a tall order. Sounds like the b-sides have already been recorded though so maybe it'll happen.
    Yeah, I'd usually be skeptical, but they did get out the EP just one year after a full-length album, and already seem to be mixing some of the content, so it seems possible.

Anyone have a non-Snapchat clip of Alright Caroline?

Quote Originally Posted by should_be_working View Post
    So assuming they actually go through with this (yeah, sorry I'm still skeptical of anything sj says he'll do), I'm torn as to weather I'd want it. Years ago I would have loved a vault album (probably because I knew Tony was in the fold and would stay true to the 3eb sound), but now I'm not so sure I want to hear Kopp adding piano and electronic beats to songs like ARC and Scattered. To me, these are already classics, so I suppose it won't hurt hearing an updated version since I already have somewhat ok recordings of them, but the thought of this new version of 3eb toying with old songs doesn't quite sit well with me. I mean, the current 3eb is light years away from the 97 version in every way, it feels weird.
    Second this.
    Not sure I want to hear re-worked versions of 20+ year old songs. Particularly with, essentially, an entirely different band. Could be cool, but then again... eh... o.0
    But as others have said; if they suck, we still have the demos to jam to if so desired.

p.s. Still wish I could get my paws on the original demo tape.

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    also, if valentine's not involved it's just not worth it. His production on those songs would be unreal.
    a g r e e d

Quote Originally Posted by jenk View Post
    a g r e e d
    Also agree with this one... but I would rather not think like this! otherwise I will be anticipating and forming a bad opinion on the new EP before it's even released. Let's have some faith and perhaps the production is equivalent to the last EP which in my opinion is quite good.

Re-invent myself
    Didn't care about no one else not touching me
    Just wanted to rock the crowd
    And live my life out loud
    And that's it for me

: : :::::: 3eb - Now I don't Know :::::: : :

WOMP WOMP WOMP

Quote Originally Posted by Knife In The Water View Post
    How early was "Shelter"? Was that pre-S/T, or Blue era? SJ mentioned that song in an interview or Reddit AMA or something a year or so back, so it could be on his radar.

If Scattered was around that far back, it seems like that would be an obvious choice - it's sounds is probably most close to their current Dopamine era sound. (Poppier, more emphasis on clean guitar notes rather than distortion, etc.)

I'd be excited for anything and anything really. If they ruin it, then I'll just play the demo version.

I'm a little confused though. Are they working on a second EP AND re-recording old S/T songs? Or is the EP comprised of old re-recorded S/T songs?
    Ah, Shelter. Shelter is ST era. I'm pretty sure we learned at some point over the years that it was never even recorded, so there's no demo of it in its original form that can turn up.

Bike Messenger is a song title Jason Slater dropped once, saying he had it on a hard drive that failed and needed to be restored. Who knows whatever happened with that.

Wasn't there another ST era song, like, Country or something? That we only learned about from SJ's publishing copyright catalogue?

All of this may or may not be correct. My memory for these things isn't what it was. It's been a lot of years, hasn't it?
    Last edited by The Flicker Fade; 11-04-2016 at 11:54 AM.
    - Art

Quote Originally Posted by tonyrox View Post
    This is not a "fucking joke." It's super serious. 3eb2011 wants to have me fired for racism and violating so we are having a trial. It doesn't get much more serious than that. Now I have aids, and I unfortunately had to force sean off my staff because he was rubbing me the wrong way.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    Ah, Shelter. Shelter is ST era. I'm pretty sure we learned at some point over the years that it was never even recorded, so there's no demo of it in its original form that can turn up.

Bike Messenger is a song title Jason Slater dropped once, saying he had it on a hard drive that failed and needed to be restored. Who knows whatever happened with that.

Wasn't there another ST era song, like, Country or something? That we only learned about from SJ's publishing copyright catalogue?

All of this may or may not be correct. My memory for these things isn't what it was. It's been a lot of years, hasn't it?
    You're right about Shelter. Was pretty sure it was S/T era, and pretty sure SJ said it was never recorded. Which would make it a pretty likely candidate for the EP then, as I think someone mentioned that its recording songs that weren't recorded in the past.

I don't recall "Bike Messenger" personally, and I used to track everything on the "every unreleased song ever" thread, but then again, I don't recall being around much with Jason Slater posting things here, so it could be that I missed that one.

I am a GIRL
    New article from SJ talking about the EP

Its as if Stephan forgot TOTS was ever released. Why on earth would you re-record that one?
    I'll make do with none, I will blame no one
    Slept on packing foam, I'll make it all my home

Chief Prick

Blog Entries
    Wasn't Bike Messenger one of those songs that showed up on Stephan's BMI artist repertoire page? To me the song title never really felt like a 3eb song, more like Puck & Natty or The Braids or something.
    facebook | twitter

Will's Mum's Boyfriend

Blog Entries
    Official 2016 Scattered lyrics :

"When I was crunk,
    I was way more crunk than you,
    What happened to my dubstep crew,
    Twitter followers i cry to you"

No thanks.