Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New & Unheard Leaked Demos from before S/T plus old Demo Discussion.

Loving all of them. Bike Messenger and Hold Me Down had lots of potential. The latter reminds me a bit of Farther, which we can all agree is one of the best 3EB songs.

Normally I'd hate to see a post from James Childress because the guy is on everything 3EB related and sometimes can be a troll, but this time he nailed it.

Edit: Loved the early version of Deep Inside of You, a song that has been of my favorites for a very long time. Nice chilled out version, but not so chill that still sounds like a rock song. I'd like to hear them do a version similiar to this one on live shows.

To this day it still bugs me that Kevin was against this song being on Blue. Maybe he was upset that some of his songs were fought against, because there's no way a song so good like Deep Inside of You could have been let out of Blue.
    Last edited by Afonso; 06-20-2017 at 03:33 PM.

NOT BANNED

Somebody rip these at decent quality before Jenkins copyright complaint gets through.
    @david_d_jones

blot blot western baby
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyrox View Post
    Somebody rip these at decent quality before Jenkins copyright complaint gets through.
    The audio files are here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wk2h8wpig...swTuuG-7a?dl=0

I think it's pretty safe to say if the first album sounded like any of these songs... I probably wouldn't be a fan. It's crazy how much Kevin and Arion added to the sound. The Puck and Natty I want you is SO cheesy too.

After seeing Nick Dement credited on so many of those tunes I did a little searching and found out that he and Stephan were in a band called Splash together. Look what I found on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0TtjwrrRfY

N00b
    Wow. This is a real interesting listen. Love the demo of "Deep Inside Of You" especially.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikorasu View Post
    After seeing Nick Dement credited on so many of those tunes I did a little searching and found out that he and Stephan were in a band called Splash together. Look what I found on YouTube:

Probably late 80s. I like it. But I don't if New Wave is for everyone. Being a fan of The Police and Os Paralamas do Sucesso (a brazilian band) I can appreciate this a lot.

I am a GIRL
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikorasu View Post

That's the strangest, creepiest, most awesome thing I've seen on the internet today.
    I'll make do with none, I will blame no one
    Slept on packing foam, I'll make it all my home

Haha. I loved The Police, but this sounds like a poor pastiche to me. Compare it to Standing Up For You and there's no contest...

ur mom
    I can't believe the collective 'we' had no idea this existed.
    Way totally great find!
    POWR
    AFTW
    SD
    PBN
    TSYS

Will's Mum's Boyfriend

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blair kennedy View Post
    To name a few

Sorry
    Break me
    Second Born
    Now I don't know
    To be fair, you're not going to see many leaks of studio complete, ready to release songs, because if a song is anywhere near done, it's going on an album. Third Eye Blind's not like prolific bands that record 30 songs to completion then cherry pick the best 12. They eventually get 12 songs done, and that's the album.

Additions to what Blair mentioned:

Eyes For You
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Away
    Fairytale of New York (sort of a leak)
    Persephone

Animal
    Knife In The Water
    Carnival Barker (and Carnival Barker Extended)
    There's No Hurry To Eternity (sort of a leak)
    Forgot Standing Up For You!

As "complete" as an unreleased track is ever gonna be and as good as anything you're ever likely to hear from them again.

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    forgot standing up for you!

As "complete" as an unreleased track is ever gonna be and as good as anything you're ever likely to hear from them again.
    agreed

Getting There
    Sky Blue is catchy asf. The vocals on this newly found version of AC are the best ever, imo. DIOY is cool to hear, that version is missing the best part of the song though, curious who wrote the "I don't wanna' call you" bit if it wasn't in the original version of the song.

Successfully Not Banned Yet JustinGautreau's Avatar
    This probably doesn't belong in this thread, but I noticed the credits on the Splash video list Stephan as "Steve Jenkins." After a quick Google search, I came across this bizarre blog post from a couple years ago:

https://markweiss86.wordpress.com/20...ast-maple-bar/

If any of this is accurate, Stephan's older brother was in a frat with Adam Duritz, which helped 3eb get "a few early breaks." Oh, and Stephan was known as Sticks.

Both are english majors from Cal; no wonder why they are two of the best lyricist of the past 2 and half decades. I've been listening to the whole Counting Crows discography this week. Recovering the Sattelites album continues to be their masterpiece.

ur mom
    lol I wonder if he likes Steve or Doug better.
    POWR
    AFTW
    SD
    PBN
    TSYS

blot blot western baby
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinGautreau View Post
    This probably doesn't belong in this thread, but I noticed the credits on the Splash video list Stephan as "Steve Jenkins." After a quick Google search, I came across this bizarre blog post from a couple years ago:

https://markweiss86.wordpress.com/20...ast-maple-bar/

If any of this is accurate, Stephan's older brother was in a frat with Adam Duritz, which helped 3eb get "a few early breaks." Oh, and Stephan was known as Sticks.
    Nice find! Maybe that's how Michael Urbano met Stephan? Seems like Mark Weiss really enjoys name dropping Stephan and others from Palo Alto. Here's one of his later posts: https://markweiss86.wordpress.com/20...cisco-masonic/ Some bits for those who don't want to scroll through the whole thing:

I remember Dorothy Bradshaw, my 8th grade drama teacher looking out the window at Steve and a kid named J.T. Leroy, I mean John Leroy and saying (she not me) “Steve Jenkins and John Leroy think they are God’s gift to girls!”
    Steve’s brother George, although I thought he was a bully, is a successful rowing coach. George was “red neck” while Steve was “prep”.
    To put this back in context, Third Eye Blind played Cubberley in January, 1995, more than 20 years ago, it was my fourth or fifth show and most of the bands were people I’d known since high school (which was a mere 12 years prior to that), plus the Donnas, playing as Ragady Anne. Third Eye Blind was unsigned, I had seen maybe twice and was tracking unsigned buzz bands. They played with Heavy Into Jeff (who was more popular at the time, although in truth neither band was a draw in Palo Alto) plus the opening act, my friend, because he dated my college classmate and ex-girlfriend Charlotte Gerstein, Rob Lederer, or Rob Craig, of Number Nine. Steve actually played drums on the Number Nine demo. Stephen I mean. I actually had met Kevin Cadogan before he joined with Steve, in that his dad and I were both in a Berkeley rainforest group together and he helped me vet demo tapes of bands we were hiring for a Berkeley Borneo Project benefit at Starry Plough. Well, that’s an exaggeration: Kevin basically told me all the bands I liked sucked! And as everyone from my gen of fanboy-to-functionary SF indie and industry knows, Steve Jenkins and Kevin Cadogan partnered sort to get signed and release two great albums on Epic but parted ways, quite dramatically and neither has partnered as successfully since. And nobody who mentions Kevin in a correspondence with Steve ever gets a response or result.
    A5d: the site lists two members, SJ and Brad Hargreaves. What people don’t know about Brad is that he is also an excellent jazz drummer and down with Liberty Ellman. I caught up with Brad not so long ago, always wanted to book him. Maybe the Varsity HanaHaus will be a venue after all.

I recently came across an old Stephan interview where he talked a little about growing up in Palo Alto and the Bay Area. Apparently he grew up on the street that I live on now. It's funny to think about, one of these little bratty biker kids might grow up to be a douchey rock star some day. Lol.

Successfully Not Banned Yet JustinGautreau's Avatar
    I remember Dorothy Bradshaw, my 8th grade drama teacher looking out the window at Steve and a kid named J.T. Leroy, I mean John Leroy and saying (she not me) “Steve Jenkins and John Leroy think they are God’s gift to girls!”
    Classic Ms. Bradshaw, always telling it like it was.

Quote Originally Posted by sst2 View Post
    Nice find! Maybe that's how Michael Urbano met Stephan? Seems like Mark Weiss really enjoys name dropping Stephan and others from Palo Alto. Here's one of his later posts: https://markweiss86.wordpress.com/20...cisco-masonic/ Some bits for those who don't want to scroll through the whole thing:

I recently came across an old Stephan interview where he talked a little about growing up in Palo Alto and the Bay Area. Apparently he grew up on the street that I live on now. It's funny to think about, one of these little bratty biker kids might grow up to be a douchey rock star some day. Lol.
    A douchey rock star you love to hate.

WOMP WOMP WOMP

Oh my god, Slater finally got his hard drive fixed. Only took eight years.

No? Just me?

No. I'm totally right.
    - Art

This is not a "fucking joke." It's super serious. 3eb2011 wants to have me fired for racism and violating so we are having a trial. It doesn't get much more serious than that. Now I have aids, and I unfortunately had to force sean off my staff because he was rubbing me the wrong way.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    Oh my god, Slater finally got his hard drive fixed. Only took eight years.

No? Just me?

No. I'm totally right.
    im hard as a g dam rock

NOT BANNED

"The taste of your lips is like apple sauce."
    @david_d_jones

Pillar of the community punchbag906's Avatar
    Mixed up family sounds like a theme song for a 90s tv show...,I like a time to be wild for some reason that's probably my favorite from these songs , pretty cool to hear these

N00b
    Found this in The Stanford Daily June 2, 1983

A relatively unknown local band, Splash, is also gaining in
    notoriety. According to Nick Dement, guitarist/pianist for the group, Splash has taped a
    video segment that will possibly be aired on MTV in the near future.
    "Although we'd love to play on campus, there's a good chance we could become nationally
    known before anyone at Stanford even hears of us."

Dement, who together with bassist Scott Lockhart and drummer Steve Jenkins comprise
    the band, stated that if cornered, he'd say their songlist calls to mind the Police
    more than anything."We're an original, energetic, high-powered band that
    plays a sort of ska-funk music fusion. That's the closest category I can come up with.

Wow, just popped in for the first time in a month or so and saw this. Please help me keep this all straight, so I'm not missing anything here. Also, I can't access YouTube at the moment, so please tell me which ones are early versions of which songs.

1. Bike Messenger
    2. Try Not to Think About It
    3. Sky Blue (Early version of "I Want You")
    4. Hold Me Down

More?
    I'm running out of words, I'm running out of time.
    So was it all worth the weight on my mind?
    And I start to fall apart
    And I'm hurt by what's inside