Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New & Unheard Leaked Demos from before S/T plus old Demo Discussion.

New & Unheard Leaked Demos from before S/T plus old Demo Discussion.

I'm talking about post Self-Titled album. Invisible (studio version) is awesome and I'm wondering if there are any other leaked unreleased studio tracks floating out there (meaning not on singles, vinyl, DVD, or any other format)?

Should probably get a hobby blair kennedy's Avatar
    To name a few

Sorry
    Break me
    Second Born
    Now I don't know
    i prefer to red to green. it goes better with my complexion.

Successfully Not Banned Yet
    Quote Originally Posted by blair kennedy View Post
    To name a few

Sorry
    Break me
    Second Born
    Now I don't know
    I think those were more high-quality demos that came out, but I guess it all depends on what you refer to as a studio version.

NOT BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lotty83 View Post
    I think those were more high-quality demos that came out, but I guess it all depends on what you refer to as a studio version.
    To be fair, you're not going to see many leaks of studio complete, ready to release songs, because if a song is anywhere near done, it's going on an album. Third Eye Blind's not like prolific bands that record 30 songs to completion then cherry pick the best 12. They eventually get 12 songs done, and that's the album.

Additions to what Blair mentioned:

Eyes For You
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Away
    Fairytale of New York (sort of a leak)
    Persephone

Animal
    Knife In The Water
    Carnival Barker (and Carnival Barker Extended)
    There's No Hurry To Eternity (sort of a leak)
    Last edited by tonyrox; 07-12-2016 at 05:30 PM.
    @david_d_jones

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Haven't heard some of these before!

Quote Originally Posted by tonyrox View Post
    To be fair, you're not going to see many leaks of studio complete, ready to release songs, because if a song is anywhere near done, it's going on an album. Third Eye Blind's not like prolific bands that record 30 songs to completion then cherry pick the best 12. They eventually get 12 songs done, and that's the album.

Additions to what Blair mentioned:

Eyes For You
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Away
    Fairytale of New York (sort of a leak)
    Persephone

Animal
    Knife In The Water
    Carnival Barker (and Carnival Barker Extended)
    There's No Hurry To Eternity (sort of a leak)
    Good point, but I'd say the only ones there that were actual studio versions (and not just demos) were Persephone and Carnival Barker. Fairytale you could count as one, but that was more of a Christmas time release for the fans.

Good point, but I'd say the only ones there that were actual studio versions (and not just demos) were Persephone and Carnival Barker. Fairytale you could count as one, but that was more of a Christmas time release for the fans.
    I'd say everything we have from Symphony of Decay is pretty much album quality, or pretty close.
    I'm running out of words, I'm running out of time.
    So was it all worth the weight on my mind?
    And I start to fall apart
    And I'm hurt by what's inside

NOT BANNED

I think it's a matter of semantics, you know?

We have evidence of 3eb's studio releases using a majority of the tracks from the so-called demo (Forget Myself). So at that point, the only difference between a demo and a "studio release" is a little extra polish in the mix, and some professional mastering. And again, 3eb hasn't been in the business of producing b-sides for some time, so you're just not going to see that amount of effort, not to mention cash (Vlado Meller ain't cheap), go into any song that's not going on an album.

And if you ignore mastering, Monotov's Private Opera sounds more like a demo to my ears than Away, Eyes For You, or Persephone.
    Last edited by tonyrox; 07-13-2016 at 10:56 PM.
    @david_d_jones

Quote Originally Posted by tonyrox View Post
    I think it's a matter of semantics, you know?

We have evidence of 3eb's studio releases using a majority of the tracks from the so-called demo (Forget Myself). So at that point, the only difference between a demo and a "studio release" is a little extra polish in the mix, and some professional mastering. And again, 3eb hasn't been in the business of producing b-sides for some time, so you're just not going to see that amount of effort, not to mention cash (Vlado Meller ain't cheap), go into any song that's not going on an album.

And if you ignore mastering, Monotov's Private Opera sounds more like a demo to my ears than Away, Eyes For You, or Persephone.
    Yeah, definitely a matter of semantics. I don't think either opinion is wrong. I just don't think those versions of Eyes For You, Now I Dont Know, etc were meant to be studio versions. Sounds like they're just sort of messing around in the studio trying to come up with ideas. Only the bandmembers of that time could really answer that question... and at the end of the day... well... who the hell really cares, right? lol

Um... Don't mean to be a smart ass, but isn't anything recorded in a studio a "studio version".
    Sooo.... is what you're asking really whether or not a track is a "demo" or an "official release"? Because then anything we have that wasn't on a studio album is still a "demo" in my view. Also, anything that was never officially fully mixed and mastered would be a demo.
    Anyways... I'd agree that all the songs are in different stages of demo-ness. Some more fleshed out than others. Some seemingly just needing a few last minor tweaks and they could have been considered "done". I'd say "Second Born" falls the most into the "nearly done" category. I "mastered" the file I got from these boards a few years ago and it sounds like it totally could have been on UM.

p.s. "Invisible" is awesome. Why the fuck it was never on an album is still one of the great mysteries of the universe. *lol* :P

Quote Originally Posted by Spiff2112 View Post
    p.s. "Invisible" is awesome. Why the fuck it was never on an album is still one of the great mysteries of the universe. *lol* :P
    Tony wrote too much of it... and since it was released 11 different ways prior to Tony's entrance into Third Eye Blind, SJ had no legit way to really wipe his self-credited cock all over it.

Getting There
    I'd argue that Carnival Barker is still just a demo, even the UM stubbed toe is just a demo since it was supposed to have lyrics to it. And if I remember correctly, Persephone was released through the band's MySpace at one point?

Quote Originally Posted by 3DaysMade View Post
    I'd argue that Carnival Barker is still just a demo, even the UM stubbed toe is just a demo since it was supposed to have lyrics to it. And if I remember correctly, Persephone was released through the band's MySpace at one point?
    Both tracks were released by their Myspace around that pre-Ursa Major timeframe. Not sure that factors into the argument about their demo status though. They sound pretty finished for demos - opposed to things like Gorgeous, Alright Caroline, etc, which have poor sound quality, rough vocals, etc.
    I'm running out of words, I'm running out of time.
    So was it all worth the weight on my mind?
    And I start to fall apart
    And I'm hurt by what's inside

Second Born is IMO the best track they never released that actually sounds somewhat like a studio song. It's near perfection - especially the last minute and a half or so.

Never heard There's No Hurry to Eternity. Where can we find that one?

N00b
    Quote Originally Posted by keanry01 View Post
    Live from nowhere near you compilation on amazon or itunes

Chief Prick

Blog Entries
    Hello Kevin (the other one)
    mail: site at 3eb.co.uk
    facebook | twitter

Will's Mum's Boyfriend

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by keanry01 View Post
    Its Elliott Smith from the SoD EP

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Hello Kevin (the other one)
    Looking for that one extra sale

Would someone please upload a .zip of all these or host them on a site for others to download?

Much apperciated

Pillar of the community
    OMG, found all these on youtube. So happy. GREAT to hear early songs from the band!

Besides these, think there are a few other as well on his channel.

This is an old version of I Want You from Puck And Natty. Sounds lyrically much a like I Want You.

Last edited by marchisio8; 06-20-2017 at 06:32 AM.

Fascinating listening. Some of the Puck and Natty stuff is pretty dreadful. It's clear why Jason says that 3eb wouldn't have got anywhere without Kevin and Arion and clearly the trajectory of the band before they arrived wasn't going to get them anywhere near anything as good as the first album. Also interesting to hear the track with Tony on it - very metal and not very 3eb. You can hear how Tony's playing post-Kevin fits into the band's sound much better than his early metal tinged stuff.

Pillar of the community
    Pretty cool to hear the early demos of AC and DIOY!

Pillar of the community cooksoo7's Avatar
    Wow. I'm guessing that Slater finally came through. It's pretty wild to hear the differences in sound between what SJ was trying to do before Kevin and Arion came around. It seems he was experimenting with a wide range of sounds to get something to stick. As far as Tattoo, DIOY, AC, and essentially I Want You, it seems like the lyrics didn't change a whole lot for these songs over time, which is interesting to me, considering the whole ghost writer theory.

I'd be really interested to know when these were recorded. I'm thinking it's gotta be 1991 or earlier. "Just Wanna Be Your Friend" was released on the 1992 90210 Soundtrack, so that's got to be the timeframe.

Pillar of the community
    The guy that uploaded them said they were from 93/94!

I am a GIRL
    You keep my sky blue. hahaha. These are great, thanks for posting. Looks like there are a bunch more on youtube.

Here's a link to the playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._UR7BA2oU90YS7

This should probably be a new thread
    Last edited by should_be_working; 06-20-2017 at 02:58 PM.
    I'll make do with none, I will blame no one
    Slept on packing foam, I'll make it all my home