PDA

View Full Version : Milk It!: Collected Musings on the Alternative Explosion & the Music of the 90s

matthewh18
11-20-2005, 07:19 PM
I randomly searched the Google Book search for "third eye blind" and came across this.. does anyone have this article in full? It looks pretty interesting, but only the first page is viewable.

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=mOrIdzNZJEwC&dq=third+eye+blind&prev=http://books.google.com/books%3Fq%3Dthird%2Beye%2Bblind&lpg=PA286&pg=PA286&sig=01nfFe7oEHiFti_3eO0fPIN-f9A

Intoxicated Ricochet
11-21-2005, 12:40 AM
Edit: Oops. No, I'm not having any luck getting past page 1 either.

jenk
11-21-2005, 01:15 AM
A little while ago,I spent a lot of time on google searching for this excerpt, which is in Jim DeRogatis' book. This DeRogatis guy also writes for the Chicago Sun-Times. The guy is a pompous music snob. It is basically an interview in which Jenkins addresses the issues DeRogatis has with 3eb, Jenkins stage persona, etc. Its fun to read, and I think Jenkins got the better of him. I am still in the process of finding the interview, but for now, check this out:

Chicago-Sun Times writer Jim DeRogatis offers a hilarious exchange with Third Eye Blind singer Stephan Jenkins in which the rock critic offers Jenkins the chance to reply to all the negative reviews he's written about the band, including calling the singer a "bozo" and its music "ham-fisted."

Jenkins seizes the opportunity: "The only thing ham-fisted here is your writing."

jenk
11-21-2005, 01:22 AM
Articles - SINGER GETS AN EYE FOR EYE
Fri, Jun 16, 2000 12:35 AM - Posted by Scott
here you go

Source: Chicago Sun Times

I am not a fan of Third Eye Blind.
"Even by the standards of the decaying grunge genre, the San Fran quartet is forgettable,"

I wrote the 1st time I saw the group perform at the Riviera Theatre in 1998. "Early on, singer Stephan Jenkins made great show of taking off his shoes and socks. From time to time, he sat down in a big red leather chair near the drum riser. As unexpecting as these acts were, they offered welcome respite from his non-stop prancing, preening and posing. Rarely has such a mediocre singer, uninspired songwriter and uninvolving stage presence been lucky enough to be deigned a rock star."
I saw the quartet again a few months later when it was still riding high on its self-titled multiplatinum debut. The hit "Semi-charmed Life" had won the band a prime spot on Q101's Twisted Xmas concert at the All-state Arena, but my conclusion that night was that its set was the evening's nadir.
"There is simply no bigger bozo in rock today than singer Jenkins" I wrote. "He snapped a bull whip onstage, hammered his way through the Who's 'Baba O'Reilley,' did an embarrassing rap that desperately tried to offend someone (anyone), and of course led his prefab corporate approved band through its brainless hits."
My opinion hadn't changed when I caught the group for a 3rd time last month at the Q101 Jamboree, touring in support of its 2nd album, "Blue," and performing at the New World Music Theatre. This time Jenkings decided he'd had enough. He called and asked if I'd let him have his say in the newspaper, allowing him to rebut my criticisms. As a firm believer in the importance of discourse in the rock 'n' roll community, I happily agreed , and promised to print a transcript of our conversation (edited only for length) <----uh huh sure buddy! before the band's next Chicago show. Third Eye Blind returns on Saturday to perform as part of the Hard Rock Rockfest---and here is my conversation with Jenkins.

JIM: So you think I've done you wrong? Give it to me.

SJ: Indeed you have. I have a copy of your review from the Q101 Jamboree, and what you said was,"On the other side were the unrepentant boneheads, chief among them the Blood Hound Gang and Third Eye Blind." Both of my records---what we write about and the way that we play----we're not boneheaded.

JIM:What you write about is not necessarily boneheaded, but the way you put it across onstage is, with this sort of generic, lusty hard -rock persona.

SJ: What you wrote was, "Third Eye Blind's thoroughly generic and ham-fisted music was distinguished only by the degree of frat-boy misogyny inherent in the lyrics and stage antics."

JIM: I maintain that that's true.

SJ: ham-fisted? if you listen to "Motocycle Drive By," you can't say that I can't play. WE can play! We're really good musicians. To say that we're not tight, to say that the band doesn't move as one, that we don't have dynamics...

JIM: You're ham-fisted in the sense that you lack subtlety, not that you can't play.

SJ: But if you take a song like "Narcolepsy," where we shut it down to where we're playing at like 2DBs, or a song like "Motocycle Drive By"----there are subtleties inherent in that . There are bands that are ham-fisted that make a career out of that, like, "We’re gonna democratize guitar by just playing bar chords." That's not what we're about. We have really intricate voicings. the Village Voice wrote about this and that, quite the opposite of ham-fisted, this band works with the intricacy and sublety of a finely tuned chamber-music outfit.

JIM: I just find your music incredibly boring and ordinary and average. I admire the fact that you want to convince critics otherwise---and I've talked to a couple of peers who've gotten the same sort of phone calls from you--but I don't think you're gonna do it.

SJ: This is what I'm talking about with the American press and why American critics are in large part a bummer, more so compared to even English critics , where there's a requirement that people have context and know they're talking about. Next you're gonna make a comparison between us and Hootie and the Blowfish.

JIM: That fits! Sure, you guys have a harder edge, and that’s where my sexism comment comes in:You have this hard-rock edge that you flaunt that elevates your pop trifles from Hootie’s pop trifles. But it’s essentially the same kind of radio-friendly pap.

SJ: Do you really think I’m a misogynist---that I hate women?

JIM: That you are threatening women? yes. You walk around onstage with this strutting, cocksure persona that is the oldest rock cliché in the book. It was old when Robert Plant asked us to squeeze the lemon ‘til the juice ran down his leg. Your mike stand as phallic symbol is the hoardiest act in show business. There are other ways of asserting a strong male sexuality, you know.

SJ: You’ve a completely warped idea about what sexuality is. I say this to people: “Walk like kings, all of you.” I go strutting onstage like a king and invite everyone to come along with me. I say in the song “Red Summer Sun,” “This is my time to walk with the mighty.” If I see a guy fighting, that guy gets singled out. If a girl’s getting her {breasts} grabbed when she’s crowd surfing, the guy who does it gets tossed. Our show is not a violent place;you do not see anyone being called a “bitch” or a “faggot”; there’s no sense of exclusion. Do I have a penis? I sure do. It’s a totally extroverted male kind of thing, but women, who make up about 41% of our audience, do not feel threatened or that they’re somehow being seconded. The issues that we talk about--for example “10 Days Late” or the song “Wounded” that talks about sexual assault---are not looking at this in some sort of P.C way. The song “Jumper”--which is about a friend who killed himself who is gay--is not anti-gay. Our message is one of inclusion and people who are wounded becoming whole. Our atmosphere is joyous, positive and healthy.

JIM: Joyous, positive, and healthy? What about cracking the whip onstage at the Allstate Arena?

SJ: What’s wrong with the whip?

JIM:You’re onstage adopting the persona of the strutting guy with the whip---persona of the rapist?

SJ:Why is that the persona of the rapist? We have a lot of queer fans and alot of female fans and they come to our shows and they don’t feel threatened, but you do. That’s what this is about, me holding you accountable.

JIM:I’m not threatened, and that’s not what this is about. This is about me respecting you wanting to have your say. There’s not enough meaningful dialogue in rock today;it’s all about hype. I don’t like your music, but I respect your desire to talk.

SJ:Hype is something that our band has certainly eschewed. Our band has been , if not the most D.I.Y next to Fugazi, then NO.2 or 3.

JIM:How can you say that? Third Eye Blind is a creation MTV and modern rock radio and a major label. And you’re taking money from the Hard Rock Cafe to play a festival that has corporate sponsorship up the wazoo?

SJ: All of the things that go on with the making of our music come from us;we are a homegrown entity and make our own decisions. If there is a coporation out there, and we can take AOL’s money or a radio or TV show and leave people with our music, than we will. You work for a newspaper that’s coporate-owned; does that change anything you write?

JIM:Nope. Anything else you want to say before we wrap this up?

SJ:I just want to say thank you for this, Jim, and that your take on misogyny is a comedy. I hope that comes across. That and long live Led Zeppelin.

JIM:Hey I love Led Zeppelin. John Bonham was a ham-fisted drummer and he was a god.

SJ:The only thing ham-fisted here is your writing.

JIM:Thanks. Subtlety is overrated anyway; I like people who say what they mean.

A CRITICAL VIEW OF ROCKFEST LINEUP(same writer)
Third Eye Blind: I’m not a fan of their cookie-cutter modern rock, but I do have a new respect for Stephan Jenkins’ willingness to argue its merits.

APlaneTookOff
11-21-2005, 01:28 AM
what a cock.

what do internet nerds say? pwned?

Intoxicated Ricochet
11-21-2005, 01:39 AM
I'm relatively happy that 3eb is no longer mainstream. They don't have to rebut crocks of shit like they used to.

Mitch
11-21-2005, 01:46 AM
what a cock.

what do internet nerds say? pwned?

TOTAL pwnd.

that guys was a complete jerk-off.

i would like him to point out ONE example of misogyny ANYWHERE in 3eb's music. (minus the "you're a fucking bitch" or whatever he shouted during don't believe a word).

but i do respect him giving stephan a chance to respond, ever if it was for the writer's personal benefit.

Punkadelica
11-21-2005, 02:53 AM
It's pwnage, you nubz0rz.

jacobvandy
11-21-2005, 03:01 AM
liek ZOMG taht guy got surved, LOL m i rite?

XHendrix24
11-21-2005, 03:05 AM
LOLLERSKATEZEZ0RZ!!!!111oneonelventeenz

ordinaryday6
11-21-2005, 03:31 AM
YOU FUCKING WHORE I'LL KILL YOU!

that's like, the best line in the whole song. i'm a woman and i don't feel "threatened" by that. i think it's awesome and i sing it extra loud.

Mitch
11-21-2005, 03:51 AM

that's like, the best line in the whole song. i'm a woman and i don't feel "threatened" by that. i think it's awesome and i sing it extra loud.

i love it, too. however, i suppose it could be construed as misogynist...if you're looking really, really hard.

3SeJbfan
11-21-2005, 04:15 AM
man that guy has a warped mind.

Im with Sammy...... I never feel threatend at a show.

ImaDude
11-21-2005, 06:14 AM

I don't mind that line but I think SJ could do better. It just doesn't sound that intelligent and I think SJ is much more of an intelligent guy than that.

Edit: I just re-read that article. Jim is an idiot. He obviously just jumped on the "Third Eye Blind sucks" bandwagon. It is very aparent that he has no clue about what he is talking about and he contradicts himself left and right just trying to find someway to put 3eb down.

Mitch
11-21-2005, 06:18 AM
i don't think it's actually part of the lyrics. i think he just said it.

he really gets into it live. or so i've heard...and seen from live boots...

:sigh:

i wanna see third eye blind live. ::kicks dirt::

ordinaryday6
11-21-2005, 06:25 AM
if they don't put it on the album, i'm going to be real disappointed.

gnorts
11-21-2005, 06:37 AM
if they don't put it on the album, i'm going to be real disappointed.
Agreed. It may be the most badass moment of a song that is itself rather badass :rock:

elle
11-21-2005, 07:10 PM
I wouldn't mind having SJ crack a whip at me.

Ugh, I can't believe I just said that, what am I? 18? LOL!

JamesT
11-21-2005, 08:10 PM
Wow

I thought SJ did an incredible job defending 3eb. He's a really eloquent guy. The only part that was kind of a joke was when he called them #2 or 3 next to Fugazi in terms of D.I.Y. Come on, man.

Thanks for re-posting that. I'd read it before but its a great one. It actually appeared in the "Best Music Writing" book of a few years back....

XHendrix24
11-21-2005, 11:38 PM
Great article as far as SJ is concerned.

One thing, though. WHAT THE HELL IS D.I.Y.?

Menlo Park Rat
11-21-2005, 11:39 PM
WHAT THE HELL IS D.I.Y.?
do it yourself

XHendrix24
11-21-2005, 11:46 PM
do it yourself

Ahhh, there we go.

Thanks for that. :thup:

Summersun33
11-22-2005, 04:25 AM
do it yourself

...do you like to uh... do it yourself?

;)

David Charles
11-22-2005, 06:30 PM
That guy is such an ass. He always gives it to Ryan Adams as well. Ryan called him after a bad concert review and cursed him out on his answering machine. :lol: I'll upload it if anyone wants to hear it. This guy is an even more of a cock now that he's attacked 3eb as well, what a douche.

LetsGoMountaineers
11-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Well, Ryan Adams does deserve a bad concert review. ;-)

Hooby
11-23-2005, 12:59 AM
That was the last Third Eye Blind concert I saw.....

and it blew donkey balls.

and so does that guy.

But at least he was willing to print himself getting owned by a person that knows how to use words better than himself.

Intoxicated Ricochet
11-23-2005, 01:58 AM
That guy is such an ass. He always gives it to Ryan Adams as well. Ryan called him after a bad concert review and cursed him out on his answering machine. :lol: I'll upload it if anyone wants to hear it. This guy is an even more of a cock now that he's attacked 3eb as well, what a douche.

That's hilarious. Post it!