PDA

View Full Version : Journalists and Pollsters: The New Brilliant Savants

APlaneTookOff
09-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Actual human beings earn tens of thousands of dollars to produce this kind of stuff for us:

Poll: Convention lifts McCain over Obama (http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-09-07-poll_N.htm)

By Susan Page, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON — The Republican National Convention has given John McCain and his party a significant boost, a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll taken over the weekend shows, as running mate Sarah Palin helps close an "enthusiasm gap" that has dogged the GOP all year.

McCain leads Democrat Barack Obama by 50%-46% among registered voters, the Republican's biggest advantage since January and a turnaround from the USA TODAY poll taken just before the convention opened in St. Paul. Then, he lagged by 7 percentage points.

The convention bounce has helped not only McCain but also attitudes toward Republican congressional candidates and the GOP in general.

"The Republicans had a very successful convention and, at least initially, the selection of Sarah Palin has made a big difference," says political scientist Larry Sabato of the University of Virginia. "He's in a far better position than his people imagined he would be in at this point."

However, in an analysis of the impact of political conventions since 1960, Sabato concluded that post-convention polls signal the election's outcome only about half the time. "You could flip a coin and be about as predictive," he says. "It is really surprising how quickly convention memories fade."Weird, a two party system would come down to those kinds of numbers.

This is actually a multi-billion dollar industry: predicting the outcome of a coin flip through all sorts of wacky science and analysis, while sometimes actually letting it slip that it is a coin flip and they are only accurate "about" half the time.

In a Brave New World, the cable news channels will just be 24/7 footage of paint drying. The newspapers will be in sealed cellphane like fruit roll ups, completely black ink, just for you to peel apart just so you can watch it dry.

I think the Bush Administration actually made me an Anarchist, except for completely different reasons than all the other kids.

LetsGoMountaineers
09-08-2008, 11:14 AM
I think the Bush Administration actually made me an Anarchist, except for completely different reasons than all the other kids.

Weird. The Bush Administration only made me become a crying masturbator...
:wank: :bigcry:

chago04
09-09-2008, 01:03 AM
Actual human beings earn tens of thousands of dollars to produce this kind of stuff for us:

Weird, a two party system would come down to those kinds of numbers.

This is actually a multi-billion dollar industry: predicting the outcome of a coin flip through all sorts of wacky science and analysis, while sometimes actually letting it slip that it is a coin flip and they are only accurate "about" half the time.

In a Brave New World, the cable news channels will just be 24/7 footage of paint drying. The newspapers will be in sealed cellphane like fruit roll ups, completely black ink, just for you to peel apart just so you can watch it dry.

calm down for a minute, Bob.

As a statistician, I think what he was saying is 'there's a lot more to come in the political cycle, so its too soon to call the election on a poll that comes out 2 months early'. Currently, McCain is leading. His lead is well outside of the M.O.E.. That does not mean he's guaranteed a win. He's just downplaying the poll, although it does show a dangerous trend for the Obama camp. That's all he was saying.

this crap fascinates me.

/please have faith in polls and statistics
//my future economic status depends on it

APlaneTookOff
09-09-2008, 07:34 AM
calm down for a minute, Bob.

As a statistician, I think what he was saying is 'there's a lot more to come in the political cycle, so its too soon to call the election on a poll that comes out 2 months early'. Currently, McCain is leading. His lead is well outside of the M.O.E.. That does not mean he's guaranteed a win. He's just downplaying the poll, although it does show a dangerous trend for the Obama camp. That's all he was saying.

this crap fascinates me.

/please have faith in polls and statistics
//my future economic status depends on it:wet: I am sorry. I don't think that's what was being said. I think they are so desperate to put stories out there 24/7, up to the millisecond, they actually write things down and run them without even realizing what the hell they are even saying or arguing anymore.

Dionysus55
09-10-2008, 08:24 AM
I think a good thorough reading of Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business by Neil Postman would be beneficial to every American. I have a small gripe that the writer visibly slants to the left, but for the most part he is impartial in his breakdown of modern news media as being, unsurprisingly, a bunch of piss. It's well known now, but was written in the 80's around the same time that people thought "Network" was fucking ridiculous.