PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Tech 9/30/2008

PhilEYoung
07-26-2008, 02:01 AM
New show in Blacksburg?

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/2008/07/24/third_eye_blind_to_play_in_burruss

Third Eye Blind will play at Burruss Auditorium on Sept. 30, 2008.
The ticket prices will be $20 for Tech students and $25 for general admission.

According to an e-mail sent by David Silberstein, director of VTU's concert program, the performer options for a homecoming show included Citizen Cope, Regina Spektor, Guster, The Fray, All American Rejects, Coheed and Cambria, Wilco, and Sara Bareilles. Third Eye Blind, however, received the most support and was booked.

There is no information yet regarding when tickets will go on sale or how many will be available. Burruss Auditorium has a maximum capacity of 2,927.

Virginia Tech Union declined comment.

Third Eye Blind will play at Burruss Auditorium on Sept. 30, 2008.
The ticket prices will be $20 for Tech students and $25 for general admission.

According to an e-mail sent by David Silberstein, director of VTU's concert program, the performer options for a homecoming show included Citizen Cope, Regina Spektor, Guster, The Fray, All American Rejects, Coheed and Cambria, Wilco, and Sara Bareilles. Third Eye Blind, however, received the most support and was booked.

There is no information yet regarding when tickets will go on sale or how many will be available. Burruss Auditorium has a maximum capacity of 2,927.

Virginia Tech Union declined comment.

lighter_boots
07-26-2008, 02:07 AM
Hooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeee eeeeeeessssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

modrocker
07-26-2008, 03:29 AM
Jackpot!

Alas, my stupid-ass, non cool, wannabe fan friends will probably wanna come with me.

KateByDesign
07-26-2008, 04:09 PM
So there. That line up is bad ass. Way to go Hokies.

Chris
07-26-2008, 04:26 PM
The line-up is only 3eb. The other artists were possible performers, but 3eb got the spot due to support - at least that's what I got out of that.

Nick.WTST
07-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Good to see people recognize that 3eb is actually music, whereas bands like the Fray and AAR suck the mega industry penis.

Maybe
07-27-2008, 07:18 PM
see you there :cool:

blinded guy
07-27-2008, 08:21 PM
I wonder if they will play this song. That line "Some guys walks into my school and opens fire" may not go over that well.

PUTthePASTaway
07-28-2008, 02:44 AM
I wonder if they will play this song. That line "Some guys walks into my school and opens fire" may not go over that well.

Wow, I didn't even think about that. That's a good point. That sure would be interesting if they played it.

modrocker
07-28-2008, 07:17 AM
Wow, I didn't even think about that. That's a good point. That sure would be interesting if they played it.

that's pretty much what I think of when I hear the line anyway.

I'll be going, and would rather hangout with TVCY crew then my friends.

modrocker
07-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Supposedly tix go on sale Sept 5.

WhatComesNow
07-29-2008, 04:41 AM
...and now that I've actually spent a minute to find the proper thread:

Totally willing to hang out with some TVCYers in Blacksburg, but I'd probably be busy most afternoon with Day of Show stuff, etc. Maybe if you're lucky I can bring some people in during sound check.

Cannot wait the two months for this show! See you all there!

PhilEYoung
07-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Maybe if you're lucky I can bring some people in during sound check.

Well isn't that very Doug of you.

But seriously.. thats cool of you to do that.. I'm hoping to bring my ass up for the show from raleigh, nc. we shall see!

elle
07-30-2008, 03:50 AM
:( I'm going to be home in Roanoke the week before that. :(

Alaklain
07-30-2008, 03:52 AM
I'd like to go! I'm from northern va though, but I'll be up in nyc.... I'm thinking about coming down, but it's a tuesday and I'll be missing classes.... What are the chances that they will be playing anywhere else on the east coast around this time? I guess I just need to wait for more dates to be announced... :(

WhatComesNow
07-30-2008, 03:57 AM

And you just decided to stay in Roanoke for an extra week, just to see this show! Cool!

modrocker
07-30-2008, 06:21 AM

I dunno whats worse: being home the week BEFORE the show, or that it's Roanoke.

aFradulentZodiac
07-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Hopefully they'll be smart and stay away from NDC that day. That line probably wouldn't go over well and that's the last thing they need.

elle
07-31-2008, 03:31 AM
I dunno whats worse: being home the week BEFORE the show, or that it's Roanoke.

Hey, I happen to be proud to be from the Star City. Thank you.

Maybe
07-31-2008, 04:19 AM
my girlfriend's grandfather built the Star. true story :)

Matt
07-31-2008, 05:23 AM
my girlfriend's grandfather built the Star. true story :)

the star is a city? did he build it on Rock and Roll?

Maybe
07-31-2008, 05:30 AM
the star is a city? did he build it on Rock and Roll?
no, it's an actual star in the city. how did my post get edited?

elle
07-31-2008, 06:22 AM
no, it's an actual star in the city. how did my post get edited?

Matt probably hit the "edit" button by accident when he meant to "quote" you. Unless it probably was edited... then I dunno.

Maybe
07-31-2008, 06:42 AM
Matt probably hit the "edit" button by accident when he meant to "quote" you. Unless it probably was edited... then I dunno.
ah, makes sense. no he didn't change anything, I just wondered why it said that.

FrankTumblety
08-23-2008, 03:12 AM
I'm hoping I'll be able to go to this. I've got 3 classes the next day starting at 9:00a. I live in Charlotte, NC, so it's about a 3 hour drive. I'll also need someone to drive up there with me, so we'll see.

David U
08-29-2008, 03:26 AM
I would assume since they are going to play at VT that they will post other East Coast tour dates. If they don't, I'm thinking about making the 7+ hour drive during the week.

modrocker
08-29-2008, 04:12 AM
So from what I hear tix are on sale 9/5....anyone have a linkie to the site they're on sale at?

EDIT: So apparently tix went on sale today, my VT friend called me and told me he was buying his now, as well as mine. This might be students only sale though, with general admission going on later?

WhatComesNow
09-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Sorry for not posting earlier. The ticket sales date was changed to a week earlier(last Friday), and sold out last night. I was damn excited. 700 tickets sold in the first 20 minutes. 1500(half the venue) in the first hour. This is going to be the best show of the year.

They're bringing their own opener. Anyone know who this might be? Who has opened recently?

J.
09-03-2008, 06:24 PM
They're bringing their own opener. Anyone know who this might be? Who has opened recently?

pray that its not Takota/Dakota.....or whichever band was opening at the end of the spring.......

modrocker
09-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Is it true this scheisse is reserved seating?

WhatComesNow
09-04-2008, 06:38 AM
Is it true this scheisse is reserved seating?

Yes. The venue has 2970 seats and every single one will be filled. People will be patrolling the aisles keeping them clear. Sucks, but I'm in the pit, so I don't care ;)

modrocker
09-29-2008, 12:31 AM
So as the day nears, I ask, who's going? anyone wanna hang before the show? doors are at 1830, ill be there well before (probably spending the afternoon in b-burg). Feel free to hit me up before then.

Ohh, and I also have a spare ticket (Row AA, dead center) since I lucked into a pit pass :-). I'd be willing to give my ticket to anyone here who wants it.

WhatComesNow
09-29-2008, 08:17 PM
:-( I have class from 5-7 so I'll probably be showing up right towards the beginning of the show.

Jon, I'll be in the pit too, so keep an eye out for me. I'll be wearing a blue VTU polo w/ nametag and my day-of-show black bandana.

WhatComesNow
09-30-2008, 10:10 PM
One hour. Fifty minutes. I'm psyched.

cody3eb
10-01-2008, 12:52 AM
i cant wait for reviewS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strofan7
10-01-2008, 03:29 AM
Okay first off, i had never been to a real concert before. I always figured I'd go out of my way to go to a 3eb one if they were ever a reasonable distance away. By some gift of god they came to me at Virginiia Tech. It was around two hours and probably the best two hours of my life! The only song not played that I wanted to hear was blinded, but besides that it was awesome. They also played Campfire, Don't believe a word, and two more new songs that have slipped my mind sadly.

pretty much to sum it up:
it was AMAZING

WhatComesNow
10-01-2008, 04:25 AM
Ballin. After the opener I was walking around and hanging out with some friends behind the soundboard. The tech had the setlist up on the computer monitor so I snagged it and wrote it down on a sheet of paper. Major score of the night.

LAWY
Crystal Baller
Wounded
Narcolepsy
Graduate
Non-Dairy Creamer
NLYG
Bonfire - I thought the name was Campfire, but the setlist and Stephan said 'Bonfire'
DIY
MDB
DBAW
Jumper
SCL

Encore:
HIGTB
Why Can't You Be
Bonfire Reprise

Loved it. Even if 3EB wasn't my favorite band and I wasn't right up to the stage I think this concert had the best energy of any concert I've been to. 1000 Julys and GOW were on the setlist but didn't get played :cry: . Overall, it was amazing.

TGrant11
10-01-2008, 04:30 AM
Ballin. After the opener I was walking around and hanging out with some friends behind the soundboard. The tech had the setlist up on the computer monitor so I snagged it and wrote it down on a sheet of paper. Major score of the night.

LAWY
Crystal Baller
Wounded
Narcolepsy
Graduate
Non-Dairy Creamer
NLYG
Bonfire - I thought the name was Campfire, but the setlist and Stephan said 'Bonfire'
DIY
MDB
DBAW
Jumper
SCL

Encore:
HIGTB
Why Can't You Be
Bonfire Reprise

Loved it. Even if 3EB wasn't my favorite band and I wasn't right up to the stage I think this concert had the best energy of any concert I've been to. 1000 Julys and GOW were on the setlist but didn't get played :cry: . Overall, it was amazing.

NDC. Wow. I wasn't sure they'd play it, especially with the line about school shootings. How did that go over?

aFradulentZodiac
10-01-2008, 05:19 AM
NDC. Wow. I wasn't sure they'd play it, especially with the line about school shootings. How did that go over?
yikes.... was thinking the same thing....that couldn't have gone over well.....

Strofan7
10-01-2008, 05:37 AM
as far as I could tell it didnt really bother anyone. the only almost negative response to anything that i noticed was after "dont believe a word" and the line "you fucking whore ill kill you." a lot of people seemed to find that suprising...i guess they never really listen to the lyrics of the other songs haha

TGrant11
10-01-2008, 06:58 AM
as far as I could tell it didnt really bother anyone. the only almost negative response to anything that i noticed was after "dont believe a word" and the line "you fucking whore ill kill you." a lot of people seemed to find that suprising...i guess they never really listen to the lyrics of the other songs haha

Well, I guess they're not really familiar with NDC either, so a lot of people might not have picked up on it.

ordinaryday6
10-01-2008, 01:50 PM
and who played bass...?

TGrant11
10-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Just found this. It could be in another thread, but it was done for the VT newspaper prior to the show, so I figured I'd put it here.

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/2008/10/01/third_eye_blind_s_drummer_talks_fame__band_chemist ry

y2kristinaholic
10-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Just found this. It could be in another thread, but it was done for the VT newspaper prior to the show, so I figured I'd put it here.

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/2008/10/01/third_eye_blind_s_drummer_talks_fame__band_chemist ry

Good read.

Thanks for the post.

Kuruptlon
10-01-2008, 06:18 PM

loved the LL Cool J quote... That guy is such a prophet.

Strofan7
10-01-2008, 06:46 PM
leo was on bass.
im no expert but as far as i could tell he was good.

oh and the band that opened was called Honor by August and they were pretty good. i talked to the lead singer afterwards and he was a cool guy.

Ryan
10-02-2008, 12:29 AM
Stephan stopped and dedicated Motorcycle Driveby to Leroi Moore of DMB who recently passed away. Being a DMB fan, I thought that was classy.

WhatComesNow
10-02-2008, 12:33 AM
My friend who picked them up from Roanoke said that Brad was telling Tony everything that he had to do during the show, how to play, etc. And during soundcheck Stephan kept reminding him of what he had to do with each guitar to get ready for the show and stuff. Odd?
As Mark said Leo was on bass and did pretty well. Only a few minor slip ups, which weren't very noticeable.
No one said much about NDC. People were laughing for a good portion of the song, and I don't think the lyrics bothered anyone.

thirdeyeob
10-02-2008, 09:36 AM
WTF. Are we losing Tone now?

brenan
10-02-2008, 02:23 PM
My friend who picked them up from Roanoke said that Brad was telling Tony everything that he had to do during the show, how to play, etc. And during soundcheck Stephan kept reminding him of what he had to do with each guitar to get ready for the show and stuff. Odd?
As Mark said Leo was on bass and did pretty well. Only a few minor slip ups, which weren't very noticeable.
No one said much about NDC. People were laughing for a good portion of the song, and I don't think the lyrics bothered anyone.

WTF. Are we losing Tone now?

I think not.

WhatComesNow's friend most likely saw them soundchecking and they were practicing.

If you seen them soundcheck, you'll understand that stephan talks to brad and tony about what he wants to hear, how to tweak the playing to get the song exactly right --

Strofan7
10-02-2008, 07:30 PM
thank god haha

thirdeyeob
10-03-2008, 10:03 AM
I was joking, Tone and Brad are the only one's we have left. Stephan has been a gonner' for a while now.

Jackal
10-03-2008, 02:07 PM
I was there during sound check - Tony wanted to keep his guitar lower and Stephan and him got into a bit of an argument over that. Stephan wanted Tony's guitar to be as loud as possible without overpowering the drum's / his vocals. Tony thought he was too loud in general. Although it was an argument it wasn't anything nuts, although Stephan seemed unwilling to compromise. What I thought was interesting was that even after they spent all that time trying to figure out volumes during the actual show Tony's guitar still seemed really quiet (maybe he turned it down right beforehand, anyways, haha?)

TGrant11
10-06-2008, 01:27 AM
This was on the VT newspaper's site as well. Not a great review, but somewhat amusing. I think the funniest part was the first picture and the caption below it.

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/blogs/2008/10/01/third-eye-blind-at-burruss/

Strofan7
10-07-2008, 06:54 PM
i forgot to mention this after the show but SJ claimed that they were flying out of Virginia the morning after the concert to go record campfire . obviously this could be total BS... :duh:
i figured it may be worth mentioning though